RETRO GAMER should have been an automatic shoe-in for this blog. We both fish from the same pond and their detailed and informative articles provide a frequent source of references. Somehow, it never occurred to me to write about them. Not even after I dropped the magazine a speculative email to see if I could parlay this blog into some sort of article for, you know, actual currency. I got an incredibly nice reply from Nick Thorpe, the features editor, who also mentioned how their old offices in Bournemouth were literally just up the road from where Addictive Games were based [1]. As it was, I didn't think about featuring RETRO GAMER until I was on the train to Bath and remembered the magazine is now published by Future. This bit of the blog was actually written in 2025 between London Paddington and Reading. Here's a photo to prove it.
![]() |
| April 2025 |
That's one of the Oracle buildings at Thames Valley Park, just before Reading Station. You'll have to take my word that the metadata for the photo says it was taken at 11.23am on 07 April 2025. I should have taken a copy of the day's paper with me. It was the Future Publishing connection that made me think of writing about RETRO GAMER during my journey down to Bath. RETRO GAMER is now part of that huge organisation which represents the bulk of the UK's magazine publishing industry but that's not how they started.
Live Publishing International Ltd, Europa House, Adlington Park, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 4NP
In the beginning of years, when the world was so new and all (January 2004) Live Publishing produced the first issue of RETRO GAMER [3]. It was edited by Martyn Carroll and published quarterly, so issue two would be along in April 2004. RETRO GAMER looked back at itself for issue 50 and spoke to Martyn about the early days:
The idea for a retro mag was first broached by editorial director Wayne Williams in 2002. At the time I was editing a cheats mag called TipStation, having previously worked on Live's PC titles since joining the Cheshire-based publisher as a staff writer in March 2000. Wayne knew I was interested in retro and put my name forward as a potential editor. However, the publisher, Robin Wilkinson, wasn't convinced there was a market for a retro mag and it ended up on the back burner, where it simmered for about 12 months.
"I pitched the idea a couple of times again, each with limited interest, until another launch ideas meeting in 2003," says Wayne.... "We were looking for ideas that were easy to produce and could be done without needing additional staff...The timing seemed right and it was something different, something that Future or Paragon wouldn't even consider."
I find the comment about timing really interesting. There's a good argument to be had that RETRO GAMER wouldn't work before before the year 2000. The Spectrum, Commodore 64, and Amstrad were all viable formats into the 1990s as were the Atari ST and the Amiga and the MegaDrive and the SNES. The PlayStation was still brand new. You need the psychological cut-off provided by a new decade (or, even better a new millennium) to make it feel like those systems have been officially consigned to the olden days.
The formula for RETRO GAMER is dead simple. Retro is always about 15 years old. This allows for a constantly moving window of nostalgia guaranteed to tweak the ducts of someone's memory. It makes for unique situations like issue 287 which covered the making of Assassin's Creed. A game that was new in 2007 when RETRO GAMER was writing about Doom and James Pond. I've had a subscription to RETRO GAMER for years now, and occasionally when it's pushed through my front door [4] I look at it and wonder if it's time to cancel my subscription. That reads way more negative than I mean it to, but I'm passed the point where 15 years ago seems like nostalgia. These days, 15 years ago is the wink of an eye. I'm more likely to remember what I was doing in 2011 than where I left my keys. Anyway before I start rambling my point was, I look at a cover like the one for Assassin's Creed and think, "well that's great for the kids but I'm not really interested," and then I look at the contents and realise they've also written about Atic Atac, and Shadow of the Beast, and Dino Crisis, and AMIGA POWER, and the ending of Highway Encounter [6], and there's tons of stuff for me to read. Basically, the magazine is really well balanced to make sure none of the potential readership is left out. There's PlayStation 2 stuff for the young 'uns and articles for people like me who played Ludus duodecim scriptorum on Babbage's Difference Engine.
Against expectation, issue two turned up in February. Martyn Carrol explained why in his editorial:
The original plan was to publish four times a year, but issue one has proved so popular, with many shops completely selling out within the first fortnight, that the decision has been taken to increase the frequency. The magazine will now be published bimonthly, so you can look forward to six copies a year. We've also added an extra 16 pages of retro content.
Wayne Williams added a little more detail in RETRO GAMER 50:
Issue one went on sale on 15 January 2004. There was no fanfare, but news of its arrival spread quickly across the web. Interest began to snowball and a very respectable 11,922 copies were sold on UK newsstands. Little did they know, but the people who bought that first issue effectively secured RG's existence. "The idea was to just publish the one issue and see how it went," says Wayne, "but in order to get it into Smiths we had to say we were going to make it quarterly. We had no plans to produce more than one issue, or more than four at the absolute maximum, until we saw the first issue sales figures. It was more successful than anyone expected. We had a meeting with Smiths shortly afterwards about various things, but all they were interested in was RG. They increased their allocation for issue two and we agreed to go bimonthly with it."
Issue two sold 10,439 copies, enough to put the magazine on a six weekly publication cycle of eight issues each year. This was announced in issue three which then sold 14,204 copies. It was announced in issue four that, from 29 June 2004, RETRO GAMER would be going monthly. The snag, issue four was the worst selling to date; 8382. Issue five did better, 8,940 copies and issue six was just shy of the 10,000 mark at 9,994. Then sales levelled off around 8,000. A new look was introduced for issue 13 and sales dropped to 7,611 copies. Issue 14 was even worse, just 5,144. Those numbers are bad but I might be able to put them in context. I was an irregular reader of RETRO GAMER because I couldn't find it anywhere. I never found it in WH Smith and it took ages before I learned I could guarantee to find a copy in the Borders shop in Oxford Street. I must have brought either issue two or three because I remember being confused about the production cycle and thought the magazine was published bimonthly long after the point where it was actually coming out each month. In short, just finding and buying the magazine was a saga (and it never occurred to me to subscribe). If my experience was a common one, then no wonder the sales figures were poor. I can only assume that even with these low sales, the magazine remained profitable enough to justify continuing. Then Live Publishing went into liquidation. The closure was abrupt. MCV reported the news on Wednesday 24 August 2005 noting: "Live will stop trading by Friday." A website called sinclairlair.co.uk went into a little more detail:
The news that the magazine had bitten the dust came barely two weeks after Live announced [RETRO GAMER] would only appear every two months. In the same week the company had revealed that PC Extreme was being axed and staff members had been laid off.
Although sales figures for Retro Gamer had dropped since it initially burst onto the scene, circulation figures are thought to have been around 18,000 for issue 18, which proved to be the last...
Some punters had only recently renewed their subscriptions after a rallying call by editor Martyn Carroll in issue 18 to support the title. He claims that the death of the magazine was a complete shock to him and he really expected Live to pull through its problems.
The Live Publishing website is archived on the Wayback Machine and it's possible to see the website updated between 30 July and 05 August to reflect the return to bi-monthly publishing as a cost saving measure. It's also possible to see but not browse the last few forum thread titles, there's one called "So long, everyone" and another called "Final RG Appreciation Thread...."
![]() |
| Live Publishing website archived 31 October 2005 |
Live Publishing were based in Macclesfield at a place called Adlington Park in a building called Europa House [7]. Europa House is still there although for a long time I thought it had gone AWOL. I'm pretty sure it's this building at the end of the road and I'll have a chance to have a proper look later in the year. In the absence of a picture, please enjoy this slightly blurry photo from RETRO GAMER issue 50.
Imagine Publishing Ltd Richmond House 33 Richmond Hill Bournemouth Dorset BH2 6EQ
![]() |
| Imagine Publishing website Archived 12 December 2005 |
"Live didn't have enough cash to print the finished issue 19, so the pages just sat there, waiting to be uploaded."
Welcome back and enjoy the magazine.
My only real interaction with the magazine back then was to typically go onto their forums and give them grief because I didn't like it. I personally felt that, a lot of aspects of it, it felt like a bit of a missed opportunity, and I was a bit of an ass really... I didn't like the fact that they had a whole magazine to play with whereas I only had about 28 pages at the back of games™. I thought it was good but it could have been better.
![]() |
| May 2026 |
![]() |
| RETRO GAMER Issue 200 page 114 |
![]() |
| April 2025 |
RETRO GAMER issue 22 reused the Renegade cover artwork from CRASH September 1987.
Issue 29 used ZAPP!64's zombies from May 1986
Issue 34 went with the trench run artwork from the June 1984 issue of CRASH
Issue 39 features a painting from the front of THE FANTASY ART OF OLIVER FREY but I have to confess my ignorance and say I'm not sure if this was ever used on a magazine.
Issue 41, the Speedball 2 cover, was taken from ZZAP issue 50, June 1989,
Issue 49 cleverly republished the tearing-through-the-cover Gauntlet II artwork from ZZAP 20.
Issue 57 reuses the Red Moon artwork from CRASH, September 1985
Issue 58 is a redone version of the cover of CRASH issue 12 from 1984
Issue 84 is another redrawn Christmas cover, this time based on the art for ZZAP!64 issue 9.
[3] The copy of issue one floating around online is an odd beast. The person who scanned it only included the articles and skipped all the editorial bits. We have a missing material situation on our hands. If you have issue one of RETRO GAMER and can scan those pages we'll have a full copy. It's odd that right now a complete copy of CRASH issue one is available online but not a magazine 20 years younger
[4] I really must get a letter-box cut.[5]
[5] This joke © Michael Palin some time around 1989.
[6] Any excuse to post my GIF again. God I love Highway Encounter, see the Vortex article for more.
[10] It is very small indeed. You would have been justified to boast a bit more guys.














No comments:
Post a Comment